In August of 2019 the municipality of Karlskrona will start an international compulsory school (age 6-16) with an IB Profile. IB stands for International Baccalaureate. An international school means that the studies will be based on and graded according to an existing international curriculum. All the subjects, besides the language courses, will be taught in English. The international curriculum will enable parents and students to move from one country to another without it affecting the schooling of the student.
The content and quality of the education will be guaranteed both by an independent organization, International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) and the Swedish Schools Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen). The Swedish Schools Inspectorate is responsible for controlling the quality of schools in Sweden.
The new international compulsory school will be located at Wämöskolan, which is part of the central school area (det centrala skolområdet).
The following programmes will be offered:
- Primary Years Programme (PYP): for students aged 6 to 12
- Middle Years Programme (MYP): for students aged 13 to 16
The student must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- The child is a resident in Sweden for a limited period of time.
- The child has attended school in another country for a significant amount of time.
- There is a well-founded reason to expect that the child will move abroad for a significant amount of time.
- The child uses English as the primary language to speak with at least one of his/her parents.
You are welcome to contact Linda Ekström Sandstedt if you have any questions about the school or the application process. Her e-mail address is: